Saturday, April 24, 2010

Babysteps money savers

The last couple of days I have been absent from my blog as my computer is getting un-virused. Now I'm not sure if that is actually a word but I think you all know what I mean. It has a free anti virus program attached but somehow something managed to get in anyway.

Now computer repairs are not something I allow for in my budget as I am very lucky. I have a friend who can do these sorts of things for me. Thank goodness for that. Actually I am very lucky in that I have a lot of good friends who all exchange services for child-care, baking etc. It's amazing what you can trade/barter with friends if you think about it and the money it saves is freed up for something else. In my case the mortgage.

I find the best way to make these savings count is to put an amount -either what I would have to pay to get the jobs done or just a token gesture into a money tin. Eventually when the money tin is full you can transfer it to debt or use to increase savings. On Friday we biked to school and back - a trip of approx 5kms. I've estimated my car costs about 20 cents/km to run for petrol so I took $1 out of my petrol envelope and dropped it into my coin jar. If I don't do it this way I find the savings just get wasted on other stuff.

Today we went to McDonalds (I know not very frugal) to meet up with a group of like minded ladies from Simple Savings. Instead of ordering the lads happy meals and winding up with yet another junky toy I ordered a cheeseburger, hamburger and a large fries for them. They had their drink bottles already with them as we were staying a while and they were spending a reasonable time in the playground. $3.30 saved and put into the money tin. Simple as that.

While each of these savings is small they all add up. There has been no difference made to the quality of our lives and we have managed to save money without noticing. Best way to save money in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! If I go a day/week without buying a little bit of chocolate, I try to put the saving away somewhere. Also just today my DD and I counted all the $2 coins we have saved into a Pump water bottle - $1032!! we were told a full bottle holds $1000, so we got that and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Tan. That's a great effort on the $2 coins. What are you going to use it for? My coin tin is a Ben10 brought in a non frugal moment. I'm hoping it will hold about $1000 as well. So far I'm guessing it's about 1/3 full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s how do you go a week without chocolate? I can't manage a day without. The only way I could not buy it for a week would be if I stocked up the week before which is cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, well I give myself a little reward, for instance last week I said that if I could last a week without choc, I could order a book from book depository instead. So I did. Also I want to be a good example to my daughter Betsy and not eat too much junk, at least until after shes gone to bed! Also, the $2 coins are going towards a family trip to Hawaii later in the year.

    ReplyDelete