Friday, April 30, 2010

Good times with good friends

Today I was asked to work a whole day rather than my usual finish at lunchtime as my boss was sick. I always hang out for the end of the week and some time to myself when the lads are at school but it wasn't a hassle to stay later today. We had already organised to have a play date with friends so instead of me joining in I stayed at work and my girlfriend took the lads to her place. I joined them later for fun, laughter and fish n chips (shouted by the boss to say thanks).

In our circle of friends good times are always had on fish n chip nights. Nothing beats a group of people whom chose to know one another sitting and enjoying a Kiwi classic. Now yes we could cook dinner cheaper and much more nutritionally balanced but it wouldn't be the same as sitting together on the floor passing around the tomato sauce. 5 children, 2 adults and a great evening. What more can you want out of life?

How does this work to save me money and reduce my debt you may be wondering? Especially on the nights when we actually use our own money for our dinner. It doesn't! For our family saving money in some areas is so we can still spend in others. We still have great times with our friends and family but chose ways that are not expensive to do it. When I was a child fun times didn't usually involve spending obscene amounts of money on bottled water and bakery food, expensive indoor playgrounds and 3d movies. A glass of fizzy or a cream bun was a treat. Same for heading to the beach or local playgrounds. It's a lifestyle we have come to shun in these times. And it's a real shame as our children are not learning to appreciate treats in the same way we did. We need to spend less time "planning outings with the Jones's" and more time creating memories.

On a money saving note I didn't have to cook dinner tonight which will especially help the fact I have $30 for food until next Friday, I've borrowed the green waste bin from work again so can get rid of some garden rubbish for free and I charged my cellphone while at work as I thought it would be fine for a half day but maybe not a whole one. Total saved probably about $8 so as a token gesture I've put $5 into my money tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment