Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another rainy day

Today is the second day of persistent rain and cold and I think winter is really here. It's odd because I heard on the radio the other day we are having the warmest May for decades and now the cold snap is here. Sometimes you just have to hear people say something like that and it ruins it.

Now before children days when it would rain like this I would avoid doing the washing wherever possible or heaven forbid use the clothes dryer. These days using the dryer and wasting electricity is not in my budget. To help me avoid using the clothes dryer it is out in my garage so I would have to get wet and cold to get to it. Also where it is positioned in the garage the plug doesn't reach a power point so that's an added hassle. These two problems have stopped me using my clothes dryer for nearly 3 years.

So my lounge has been turned into a Chinese laundry yet again. My heat pump is perfectly positioned so that the washing can be hung on an airer underneath it yet it's conveniently out of the main foot traffic area so we don't have to keep moving around it. And because it's cold I would have the heat pump on anyway so it's not using any extra electricity to dry it.

A secret tip a girlfriend gave me many years ago when Mr7 was a baby was to hang things on your airer as you would on the clothesline. By using pegs you are reducing the thickness because nothing gets doubled over therefore making the clothes dry a lot quicker. Thanks for sharing that one Ange.

So that's one of the things I do to keep my electricity bill low. And for a lot of people I think using the dryer is a big power guzzler. I'd rather be using that money towards my mortgage or the occasional night out but each to their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment