Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eating well on a budget

Well over the last 10 days I have proven that you don't have to head to the supermarket every few days to feed your family well. Other than 4 litres of milk and a bunch of bananas I have stayed away from the supermarket. It is amazing how much food I have in my freezer and that's without even touching whatever is lurking at the bottom of my freezer.

Tomorrow though I am heading to the shops. Realistically I could just head to the fruit and vege shop and forget all about the supermarket saving even more money but there are a few things on good specials this week and I don't want to miss them and risk paying full price later.

We have eaten well over these 10 days including lots of fruit and veges. And meat with almost every meal. One favourite which we ate last night is homemade chicken nuggets. These are just 1 chicken breast cut into cubes and crumbed with flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Makes 1 breast look like a lot and stretches it a lot further than cooking one whole. Add homemade wedges and steamed veges and presto - a meal on a bugdet.

One of the areas which helps our food budget the most is breakfast. Breakfast is compulsory for all members of our household. And luckily we had never introduced expensive cereals in our better off days. So the boys are happy with weetbix, ricies and cornflakes mixed together or porridge. I add stewed, canned or fresh fruit to the mix and they love it. We also often have toast to follow. Well I have toast everyday and they have it more often than not. I also drink a large glass of milk each morning. So our breakfast is super healthy and cheap and fills us up for the morning. It's amazing how much expensive cereals cost nowadays and how much of them you have to eat to feel full.

No comments:

Post a Comment