Saturday, May 22, 2010

Getting the cheaper jacket

Today I went shopping with Mr 2 more sleeps until I am 8. Mr 6 was at the friends birthday party and the house was reasonably tidy so we went to Westfield to spend the birthday boys gift voucher. Now this kid is one seriously savvy shopper. I had recommended that he might want to consider buying a book as he is always reading and re-reading the ones he has. He decided that was a sensible idea and we started at the closest of the 3 bookstores. The books he liked were $15.99 at the first store and then he suggested we check the others to see if there were any specials. Second store was $15.50 for the same type of book and lastly $13.99. Hard to believe that in the same mall there would be that much difference. So naturally he settled on the 3rd bookstore and is the proud new owner of a Geronimo Stilton book.

Following in his footsteps on our way to Spotlight to look at modelling clay I stopped at Postie Plus. Now other than the kids school uniform I don't usually even bother looking in this store however a girl friend had said they had very reasonable jackets for the kids at good prices. I had been eying up one from Kathmandu for him as I have a friends and family staff rates voucher I can use and the jacket I like would be reduced from $250 to about $100. It's a navy goose down puffer jacket. Now having 2 boys I was telling myself I could justify the price as they would both use it and we would get approximately 3-4 years worth of wear from it. My only nagging doubt was what if he happened to lose it or it got stolen. Then I would be mighty annoyed. So we popped in to Postie but to be honest I was really just doing it to tell girl friend I had looked. Well I must say I was actually very impressed at their kids jackets. Thick and warm and with a hood to keep the head warm and dry. Usually $34.99 now $29.99. What a great deal. Mr7 hummed and haaad for a bit over choice of colour and yippie we have a cheap new jacket which is machine washable - another bonus over the dry clean only Kathmandu one. So I figure I have saved myself about $70 and if this one was to get lost it is not the end of the world.

The other saving I made today was on an umbrella. The last 2 winters I have purchased new ones - the kind that the handle retracts inside the brolly and they have both been hopeless. So at the Briscoes sale today I purchased at 40% off one of the golf style umbrellas. Much bigger for us all and looks a lot sturdier. And there's lots more rain on the way so shouldn't be too long before I need to check it out.

So a bit of a spending day today but basically just spent the money I saved on the hydro slide yesterday so it's all even. Did manage to put $5 into my coin tin yesterday as I used a petrol voucher and after topping up my gift card $10 that's the change I had left at the end of the day. Today's contribution was $3.40 so still increasing all be it slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment