Saturday, May 1, 2010

Baking day

Yay all my jobs are done and I still have 3.5 hours to go.

Today has been a productive day as far as saving money goes. Firstly the car has and will continue to stay in the driveway all day. This is always a great money saver in two ways. Obviously the savings in petrol but also the fact that if you don't go anywhere it is much harder to spend your hard earned cash!

Also I have been out in the garden pulling weeds and trimming things. We have 2 green waste bins at work paid for with our rates and no garden to produce waste to fill them with. I however have an 810sqm section and just the one bin. So I have gathered enough waste to fill both the bin I brought home from work and 2 containers to take with me tomorrow to fill the other bin with. Plus my own bin is about half full. Free green waste dumping.

And lastly in the oven I currently have a dozen pizza scrolls with more awaiting space and a chocolate cake from the Destitute Gourmet cookbook. Sophie Gray proves that you can still have extremely yummy food and treats without breaking the bank. Both items will be halved with one half going to lunchboxes this week and the other heading to the freezer for moments when I am lacking either ingredients or inspiration.

The scrolls however almost proved to be a disaster. Just 5 minutes into the breadmakers cycle I discovered I hadn't used any yeast. Whew that was a lucky save. These scrolls are the yummiest alternative to sandwhiches my lads say so I've posted the recipe below. I use a breadmaker and just take the dough out at the end of the kneading/rising cycles but you could make them by hand.

1x 1kg quantity of bread dough mixed in the bread maker (I just use the white bread recipe from my breadmaker book)

Cut the dough in half and roll one half flat on a floured benchtop. I usually make a rectangle shape about 30cmx20cm.

Spread with tomato sauce. Top with chopped up ham and grated cheese.

Carefully roll the dough into a log shape. Cut into desired size and bake at 180 deg for about 15-20 mins.

To free flow freeze these I just place them on a baking tray about 2cms apart, cover with a tea-towel and carefully place in the freezer. Once frozen I place into a plastic bag and just remove them as required in the morning for lunchboxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment