Monday, May 31, 2010

Peak oil and sustainability

Ok so I've been on the sustainability bandwagon for a while now but if I'm honest with myself not as much as I could be.

I have however spent the last hour reading a forum chat on the topic of Peak Oil and the implications for us in the future. When I started reading I had no idea what peak oil meant but now I get it and it's not good.

There are 2 main ideas I have chosen to take away from this discussion and I'll start with sustainabilty. Firstly I would love to be able to grow a large percentage of the fruit and veges we eat plus a surplus to give away to family and friends and if required in the future to sell. The fruit is one area I am doing well with and hope to keep improving. The vege gardens are my current work in progress. I have 2 new raised vege gardens built and the wood required for 2 more. Just waiting for my handyman friend to have some more spare time. I also have space for a new large sandpit and 2 more of the vege gardens.

So I have made a start on this leg of sustainability. The other thing that comes to mind with sustainability is reducing consumerism. Lets face it most of us have too much stuff and a lot of what we have is used very little or not at all. I cringe at the thought of all the junky toys the lads have had that have quickly wound up in the unused pile or worse still the rubbish bin. And that's before I even take into account the stuff that is mine. The clothes brought on sale that don't quite fit, really aren't my style or the ones I brought cheap versions of when I should have gone for quality.

For this leg of the journey I am trying to buy less and what I do buy I am trying to work out which is the best long term option for my family. If I'm honest I have enough clothes that fit and are my style to last me several years. I am planning a holiday next year though and will upgrade at outlet stores then. So on that front I am aiming to not buy anymore clothes for me between now and then. And I think the lads are probably right there too. As far as birthday pressies and things go this year both sets of grandparents, X and myself all chipped in. The little man got lots of Lego - therefore quality toy that will last for generations and the big man got a new flash bike that will last both him and his brother for years to come. Not a piece of packaging on the bike at all!

So that's enough for tonight. I'll be back tomorrow with idea number 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment