Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thanks Mum

Want to know a sure fire way to blow the budget? Just get sick or injured and go to the doctors after hours.

This morning I woke with a very sore upper arm. No idea as to the cause just figured I must have slept on it badly. Figured as I got up and moving around it would loosen up and all would be well again. Hmmmm just the opposite actually. Now mostly it is ok but if I move it in the wrong direction I get a horrible stabbing pain in my arm.

So Mum came over to help with dinner and the lads and I decided to head to the after hours rather than to try and squeeze in an appointment with my GP in the morning. Nothing major is wrong but no idea what I've done to it either. Cost with a Community Services card $65.

Now it's no wonder that as parents we avoid going to the doctor unless it's an emergency. I would always take the boys no matter what it cost but always put it off for myself. Cost without the card is $83. I really feel for low income families who do not qualify for the card and for those on benefits and government assistance as these costs are crazy. Luckily for me my Mum insisted on paying the bill.

Tonight however has brought to light that maybe I need to have a little more money put aside for things of this nature. I'll tweak the budget tomorrow to see where it will come from.

On a positive note I went to a champagne breakfast to raise money for the breast cancer foundation. I was in charge of raffles and managed to sell 200 tickets raising a grand total of $203.10.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch for the arm and double ouch for the bill. Thats a ridiculous price, I am with you, girls to the doctor asap if needed (though they are under 5 so free),but haveto be dying for mummy to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think it's rude what they charge. No wonder I don't usually go to the after hours doc just hang out till I can get a normal doctors appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, its not surprising so many choose to go and wait to be seen at the public hospital. The charges are ridiculus.

    ReplyDelete