Saturday, May 8, 2010

Savings Saturday

Today was a great day for saving money. And by the way the day started who'd have thought there could be a positive. Mr 6 wet the bed TWICE last night so lots and lots of washing. The day was cloudy and raining and to be honest while my washing line is great in the point of view that no-one can see my washing it's not good for getting the washing dry at this time of the year. Now the thing is I have not used my clothes dryer in almost 3 years. In fact where it lives in the garage it's plug doesn't reach the power point.

So after a sleep interrupted night and knowing that the washing was going to be unlikely to get dry I figured today might not be the best. Well from a money saving perspective it was great.

We walked (Mum, the lads and I) to Countdown to get the bits and pieces of groceries I hadn't got yesterday. Saving both petrol and sanity trying to get a carpark on a busy Saturday afternoon. Mr6 scored about 2/3 of a loaf of white bread brought this morning from Nana because Grandad only eats toast on the weekend and Mum had a brownie packet mix she is never going to get around to using so we got that too. Then I spotted the 2 overripe bananas on her bench that I knew she would be throwing out. Yip scored them too.

On the way home we stopped at the Mad Butcher with the last of the grocery money and grabbed 900g of chicken breasts. Have cooked 2/3 of this tonight and put a precooked meal in the freezer and have the other 1/3 for dinner another night. $10 worth of chicken has covered 3 meals. That's handy. Also picked up a pack of casserole steak that I will cook in the slow cooker later on in the week and will stretch to 2 or 3 dinners. This time for $8 worth of meat.

Having these meals in the freezer will mean that on nights I do not feel like cooking and am tempted to get takeaway I have a healthier, quicker and cheaper option.

So we got home and as expected the washing was not even half dry. Straight onto the airer under the heat pump and all will be good tomorrow. I still have some dry nites (well the Homebrand version) so the wee man has one of those on just in case. I've also done tomorrow's washing and it's about to go on the airer just incase the weather is lousy tomorrow as well.

And lastly on the money saving I have baked. Chocolate was not on special this week at either supermarket so I behaved myself and only brought 1 block. This means I need options to snack on instead or it will not last. So I have baked myself ginger crunch which I have been craving for a couple of weeks and also 4 dozen banana choc chip mini muffins for lunchboxes. I was tempted to grab a piece of crunch at the bakery today but 1 slice there costs about the same as it does for me to bake it. Have saved myself some $$$ there but maybe gained myself some calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment