Saturday, June 12, 2010

Meatless meals

Tonight we had a vegetarian dinner. Now we don't do this often as I have 2 growing lads and also I don't feel as full without meat.

My original plan for dinner was chicken and potato bake but when the boys got home they requested a true favourite - spaghetti pie. This is possibly one of the easiest, cheapest (depending on how much cheese I use - tonight a lot of cheese) yet still nutritional meals I make. Here's the recipe:

2 cans spaghetti (warmed for 3 mins in microwave)
1 quantity of mashed potato (still hot)
grated cheese - as much or as little as you like
OPT cooked bacon pieces

So all you do is heat the spaghetti, spread the potato on top, sprinkle with cheese and grill until the cheese is melted. Yummy. Real comfort food for winter.

Today it has been bitterly cold and this morning pouring with rain. So as a treat to myself I stayed in bed with a book until lunchtime. Only got up because I finished the book and had to head to the supermarket before the lads got home at 4. My grocery budget for today was $20.91 which would leave me with an extra $30 to spend on the groceries next week. Well what can I say Whittaker's chocolate was on special and I couldn't resist even though I have plenty of chocolate at home. Still got very close to budget though $21.59 so overspent by a whopping 68 cents. Next week I will head to Pak n Save with a budget of about $110 but might even go as high as $150 with another smaller week to follow that and even everything out. It is definately worth the trip to PnS if I am doing a big shop.

Other than that it has been a very quiet weekend. Car only went to the supermarket today so saved a bit of petrol, turned the heat pump off last night as the boys weren't home (and regretted it in the bitter cold this morning) and cheap meals. All in all a very good money saving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment