Thursday, June 10, 2010

Super quick supermarket shopping

This week I have a shopping list that is much longer than my budget. Now not much on this list is essential more like 10% essential, 20% desired and 70% stockpile. As time with work on the market goes by I am feeling a need to increase my stockpile as much as possible.

The only 3 items I really needed now on the shopping list were broccoli, frozen corn and chocolate (chips for baking and Whittakers for eating). Realistically I could probably go a couple of weeks and other than perishables and eggs we would be fine. So I decided to call in super quick to the Countdown by work and just get those items on my way home. Hmmmm well that's not quite what ended up happening but I am very impressed with the outcome. Firstly the 3 items I went in for were not on special. Not even 10 cents off. But I did notice there were quite a few other things we always use that had great deals on. Things like 5 cans of spaghetti for $5 - Watties and saving of $4.25. Diamond pasta 2 packets for $3 saving $1.18. Maggi 2 minute noodles 2x5 packs for $5 saving $2.38. All up I got the things I really needed and a decent stash for the stockpile for $29.09. It should have come to almost $40 so that's a great saving.

So all I will need to get this weekend at my local New World is eggs, milk, bananas and Charlies mandarins. I'm thinking I'll allow myself $20.91 and then I'll have an extra $30 to spend next week which should hopefully see my list finally fitting my budget.

I find that for me the best place to trim the budget is on the food category. There is so much wastage in many peoples homes and a lot of people don't even look at what items cost they just toss them in the trolley. By buying and stocking up on specials you can reduce your grocery spending by about 20%. And better than that it's actually simple - all you have to do is plan ahead and pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment