Sunday, June 6, 2010

Super cheap cheese

Countdown supermarkets have a super special deal on cheese for the next couple of days. $5.99 for 750 grams. As part of keeping my grocery budget as low as possible ($80/week or less) I have to pay attention to specials like this. Luckily I have a wee friend who always emails me things that are a great deal. I missed this special yesterday so called back in today as I was driving past and grabbed 2 blocks. Now I didn't really need cheese this week as we had almost a whole kg in the fridge but this really is a great special that shouldn't be missed. And lets face it cheese in an unopened packet really does last quite a while.

One step better than that though I borrowed a girl friends blender with grater and grated about 2kgs which I have divided up into bags and placed in the freezer. About 90% of the cheese we use is grated so this is perfect. And it will come in especially handy when I make scrolls for the lads lunchboxes as the hard work will already be done.

So lots of cheese in the freezer now for me which is great and also I now have 3 pounds of butter in there as well. These are items that are essential in our house and getting them on special for financially tight times seems like a smart idea.

I baked chocolate chip cookies today using the Sophie Gray recipie and OMG they are the best cookies I have ever tasted. I also added a cup of rolled oats to the mix just to improve the nutritional value. That's a good thing as I have not stopped eating them since they came out of the oven. I am glad I gave some to the girl friend whose blender I borrowed as it means less for me to eat.

Also money saving in another sense I have not had to feed the lads a lot over the long weekend and that will continue tomorrow as well. They have spent 24 hours with my parents and will spend most of tomorrow with their Granny on the other side so I have saved on a lot of food. Also they brought home 6 caramel surprise muffins from my parents place this morning which will go in the freezer for lunchboxes. Actually it might be a good idea to organise a freezer stocktake and use up all the baking in there to make room for a good meat stockup.

No comments:

Post a Comment