Saturday, July 17, 2010

A big batch of bad luck

Oh you wouldn't read about what happened today! My poor girls had all their hard work go to waste.

Mr8 and I decided to have scrambled eggs for lunch. I apprehensively cracked ours open first and then one in the pantry from the shop. Oops something off with the brought one so had to toss them both. Had another dozen that I brought at the chicken place on Thursday so used them instead.

Then the hens laid us another lovely spotty egg that Mr6 was so proud of. He eagerly raced inside to show my parents while Mr8 and I were still wandering in. Never thought to ask him where he put it. Lol text my friend who started all this chicken craze and bragged how we got another one. As I was cooking dinner I moved the hand towel that was sitting on the bench and across the kitchen the egg went landing splat on the floor! Oh the rotten luck of it. Turned out Mum had told Mr6 to be careful it didn't roll off the bench so he wrapped it in the hand towel. I had to laugh though. There will be more tomorrow I am sure.

Other than that though is has been a good day :O) I had promised the boys we could go to the markets if the weather was good enough and while cold it was dry which was what I needed. We were really organised and managed to get there at 9.05 which I was impressed with after lots of slack mornings in the holiday. Mostly I was there to look for seedlings but only one stall had them so I decided to wait and get some more seeds to grow my own instead.

Had a lovely time though just wandering about the stalls. As the boys are getting older I feel comfortable for us all to stroll along and just stop whenever something catches our eye. As long as we are all in the same aisle it's all good. We stopped at a fruit and vege supplier and Mr8 wanted a bunch of celery, I wanted bananas and we decided to get silver beet for the chooks. After looking at all the stalls we shared some mini doughnuts and also some hot chips and then headed off.

Next stop was Bunnings. Each weekend they have a kids DIY activity and today was supposed to be making a pencil holder. Actually turned out to be decorate a pot plant pot but hey it was free and involved paint so it was all good. While the lads did that I wandered around the store getting the bits and pieces I needed to finish the chook run and just generally having a wander around. Was lovely to just wander along by myself. Perfect timing as when I had sorted out what I needed they were finished. We then went to the seed section and they each chose some seeds of something they would like to grow - we now have seeds for capsicum, celery and corn. Have to wait until August/September to sow them though.

After that it was a quick stop at Kathmandu where they had a sweater I was thinking of for the little man. They had it advertised in their email and it was reduced to $29.90 which was a great price for a quality sweater. Got there and they didn't have his size (or rather the size he will be next winter) so had to look at other options. Got one was $139.95 for $45. So little more than I planned but considering I haven't brought this lad anything new clothing wise for about a year pretty good. And he is really proud of his "new" sweater. Lol he asked the man at the shop if he could please wear it home. Super cute.

When we got home it was time to finish the chicken run. Took us about an hour and then we were able to let them out to free range for a bit. They were very apprehensive to begin with but Mr8 carefully picked them up and placed them into the run and then they were off. Gave them a practice run at getting put away and then let them out again for a bit. They are very happy outside :O)

So that's the end of a very productive day for us. Roast chicken for dinner with my parents and Sophie Grays choc chip cookies for dessert and it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment