Monday, July 5, 2010

An uncertain future

Well it looks as though the business I work for is sold. This means I know I have work until the end of next month but after that things start to get uncertain.

For those who don't know I currently work for my father. It has it's moments but as a general it is a great job that works well for us both. It's time for Dad to semi-retire and he is very close to tying in an offer. Currently I have been requested to stay for 7 working days and in the due diligence clause there is mention of possible work for me.

The thing I have to weigh up is how it will feel working in the same place under different circumstances. If those who know me were to run a sweepstake I don't think you would find anyone backing me for longer than the end of the year. If you ask me I really don't know. I can imagine it will be different after the change of ownership but I am hopeful it will still continue to be an enjoyable place to work.

To my advantage is that I have choices. Through hard work and determination I have managed to get my mortgage to a level where I can survive on government assistance if required. I have qualifications in the Early Childhood Education field that I could go back to - either on a casual or permanent part-time basis. And I have 9 years of retail experience now as well. So there is plenty I could do. At this stage I would say a bit of time off and then maybe after our Queensland holiday next year find something else to do.

Living a frugal lifestyle is another thing that will enable me to take a break. By working hard in the garden I hope to grow enough to provide most of our fruit and vege needs for at least a good portion of the growing season. And I hope to get a triple grafted apple tree this season. And of course we are still considering chickens. I will give away/barter excess. I have discovered I don't need a lot of stuff to be happy and shopping no longer makes me feel good. It's great to know that doing without is not a hardship.

So all in all exciting times ahead. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment