Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Halfway there

Well it's hard to believe the changes in our back yard today. The stump man arrived bright and early at 7.45. I had conned the lads into getting up to play with Lego while I dozed until my alarm went off at 7.30. Lol I had allowed myself just enough time to get up and dressed and brush my teeth then get the lads breakfast. Phone rang and I got grumpy with Mum cos she was ringing so early and I may have been sleeping. "but you've got someone coming over in 10 minutes" she said. Argggggggggggh I had set the alarm for 8am so was super lucky she had rung and got my butt out of bed.

It's amazing how different the yard looks now with the surplus stumps removed. A couple of the trees I have had removed were dead, 1 was huge and blocking the sunlight from the neighbours and others were just too many trees in an average sized section. A couple were either trees I didn't like or I needed the space where they were for the gardens. And one was the tree that was responsible for my smelly drainage problem a few weeks back. And while he did the stumps along the back fenceline he dug over the dirt in that garden for me which removed the ivy that has been growing wild. So now I can just pull out the ivy and don't need to do the hard out digging. Yippppeeeeeeee. Now that's what I call money well spent.

For a while I felt guilty for chopping down trees. Today I planted 3 new fruit trees (making my total planted 5) so I don't feel so bad now. And by planting fruit trees I am working towards my edible back yard.

When he had finished and left the lads and I got to work on the chicken run. Now bear in mind I am in no way "handy" but always prepared to give these things a go. Well I am pleased to report the run while not finished (due to running out of chicken wire) it is looking totally awesome. Will need to head to Bunnings on the weekend and get some more wire and then do the last piece.

Now can you imagine how excited the lads were by this stage? Bear in mind they woke up at 6.45 and came to my bedroom making excited little chicken noises. So by now they were almost beside themselves. It's the fastest they have ever eaten their lunch I am sure.

So off we set to the free range chicken farm. Within minutes I was freaking out at the sight of the guy walking across the carpark holding 3 chickens in each hand as if it was no big deal. OMG I am terrified of these creatures what was I thinking is what was going through my mind. Still they stayed put in their box and behaved all the way home. It was home I was most worried about though. How on earth was I going to get them out of the box and into the hen house? Didn't need to worry though as the lads proved very capable and now all hens happily in their home eating mash and fruit and vege scraps.

The boys have headed out there several times over the course of the afternoon and all has been good. Seems we have 6 pretty tame chooks which makes me a little more relaxed. I have made them promise me they will give them some peace and quiet tomorrow so the chickens can relax and get started on laying us some eggs.

I'll let you know if they can manage that one................

No comments:

Post a Comment