Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We are on a roll

Man it's hard to believe all the progress we are making in the garden lately. After all we do have 2 pretty big things working against us. Firstly it's winter and our climate is cold and wet at this time of the year. Secondly and perhaps the biggest issue is the fact that I hate gardening.

Years ago in my married days we built a new house and did the landscaping from scratch. One thing I learned about myself with all that was that I like nice straight lines in my garden. Also something I've always known is I hate silly little gardens or trees planted in places that in my mind should be grass.

Hmmmm so here I am with a curvy garden house with a couple of trees planted in stupid spots. For almost 3 years my plan has been to ignore it. Let's face it once you face something it often leads to fixing it. So quite successfully other than at lawn mowing time I have been turning a blind eye.

Well blind eye no longer. Today's attack was the jungle area. This thought came to me last night. I woke about 5.30 am and suddenly realised it might be time to get a bloke in with a stump grinder. And if I am going to do that I need to have chopped down everything that is in my way for my master plan. So when we woke and it was cold but not raining it was a quick breakfast and off to the jungle.

Now right about then is when I thought "man it would be a great idea to have a chainsaw". Never mind because that was not going to stop me. Out came the handsaw and off to work. With lots of encouragement from the lads we chopped down almost everything in our way. The jungle is cleared and ready for de-stumping. I still have 2 trees to chop down but that will have to wait for more sunshine. By the time we were finished in the jungle it was raining and we were back indoors.

That wasn't the end there though. Out came the yellow pages. First company estimated about $400. Second company said they would send somebody out. He arrived and pleasantly quoted $240. Much better I think. So he is booked for Wednesday. The cool thing is that once he is done all the fun but hard work begins. It's so not like me but I just can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment