Thursday, July 1, 2010

A petrol free day

Today is my Friday off work. And seeing as I didn't have work I decided there would be no need to use the car. It was very cold and frosty this morning and I must say the temptation to stay in bed a little longer and just take the lads to school in the car almost got the better of me.

Then I thought of the sunny Gold Coast and how holidays are always much better if you are not worrying about the budget every 5 minutes. So just 1 day of not using the car can add another couple of dollars to our holiday fund. Petrol costs me an average of $6-$7/day but generally on a day when I only have to do the school run it's only about $2-$3. So that's another couple of dollars that can be used to get into a theme park or towards our accommodation or rental car.

So I dragged all 3 of us out of bed and organised breakfast quickly because time was passing us by. Biking to school takes about 20 mins with the lads. But it was me who was sluggish on the bike today. I was horrified at how slack I have gotten and how my fitness levels had suffered. Each turn of the pedals was a real struggle. Heading home again this morning I actually walked my bike part of the way. Now as you can imagine I was not looking forward to biking back to the lads at 3pm.

As I walked past my bike after doing some gardening I suddenly thought to squish the tyres a bit. Now they were nowhere near flat but I decided to add some more air on the way to school. OMG what an improvement. It felt like I had new legs. So now I know that while my fitness levels have dropped as always during the colder weather it's not as bad as I thought.

And it was a jolly good wake up call. Let's face it there is often a need to be slack in the colder wetter weather but often it's just cold and we are just being lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment