Thursday, July 29, 2010

Does anybody like the tax department?

Today I came home to one of those scary letters in the mail. You know the ones that are stamped with the tax department logo. In our case the IRD. Aaaaaaaaaaargh these are never normally good in NZ unless you have applied for something. And this one was no different. It was an ever so lovely bill for almost $1200 - WTF?

It became very quickly apparent where the fault lay but I was still fearful of the papers in my hand. It seems that even though at the start of this financial year I told them that the only child support I receive is what comes through them they had figures saying I received over $8000 in extra "private" child support. Hmmm I wish but not likely. I tried ringing several times and almost gave up until tomorrow but I knew that this would eat at me all night if I didn't get it sorted. So after about an hour I finally had someone on the phone and she agreed the problem was easily spotted and helped me fix it. Thank goodness. This should not have happened however as I had already told them that this payment was incorrect. I hope this time it's all sorted.

So that pretty much wasted my afternoon. Not too concerned though as it's my fortnightly ME day tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be cold but fine so I can do the last job in the garden then. I just need to rake things level then I have to wait.

My other plan for tomorrow is internet banking. Like other 30th of the months it is mortgage payment day tomorrow and I want to see just how much I have managed to pay. By my rough estimates (just worked out in my head so will be interesting to see how accurate) I should manage to reduce the principal by $1525 this past month. That's totally awesome. It's really cool to see how each month the amount of principal increases even though I'm not paying any more than the previous month. I know that is how these things work but it's pretty cool all the same.

So I will be back tomorrow night with updated totals and also hopefully good news on the progress in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment