Friday, July 9, 2010

Fruit trees galore

Well very unexpectedly got called in to work this morning. Was only for a couple of hours though and was really busy so the time went fast.

After work I headed out to Country Gardens nursery and OMG talk about variety and outstanding advice. I am a newbie in the garden and I guess people like me have a look on our faces that says we are clueless about these types of things and please help.

The lady who helped me was a real wealth of knowledge. The kind of good old fashioned knowledge and service that is becoming harder and harder to find these days. She took the time to ask about the size of my section, what I am looking for fruit wise, how to prune and all sorts of other valuable information.

As a result of her wonderful advice I came home with 3 trees. 2 apple trees because we all eat the apples and want a surplus to stew for winter breakfasts and also a peach tree. And I can assure you I will be heading back for more.

So we got home all fired up and wanting to start planting but that cannot be done until the tree men come visit on Wednesday. Not much point planting trees and then having them stomp all around to get to the right place.

Next phase on the garden is getting the raised vege beds completed. I have the timber for another 2 just waiting for friend to build them. I have now cleared the area they need to go though so fingers crossed he can squeeze me in soon.

I've also been looking at chicken coops. We want one large enough to fit 10 chooks and my budget is $600. I want a bigish coop so we can have extra chooks and sell the surplus eggs. That way eventually the chooks can pay for the cost of their house. I'm currently looking at one on Trade Me but it doesn't say how big it is.

Then once all this garden stuff is done it will be back on the money saving wagon. Still at least this time even though I have fallen off the wagon it's been for wise spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment